Doctrine and Covenants Reference Companion
"This is a book I recommend without hesitation.... If my budget would allow the purchase of just one book on the subject, this would be my choice."
—Reviewed by Roy Schmidt for the Association for Mormon Letters
Latter-day Saints have often wished for an encyclopedic dictionary devoted to latter-day scripture, the Doctrine and Covenants in particular. This volume is exactly that. More than seven years in the making, it addresses some 850 topics—people, places, words, phrases, doctrines, historical context and overviews of each section, and much more—as it provides expansive research in easy-to-read language and format. Numerous photographs of historical documents, places, and persons, as well as maps, charts, and tables, enhance the study of the revelations given to Joseph Smith as the Lord restored his Church in the latter days.
The entries in this reference companion have been prepared by some of the finest scholars in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: faculty members from Brigham Young University, BYU-Idaho, and BYU-Hawaii, teachers in the Church Educational System, research personnel from the Church Historical Department, and others. Contributors include James B. Allen, Alexander L. Baugh, Susan Easton Black, Larry E. Dahl, Steven C. Harper, William G. Hartley, Andrew H. Hedges, Glen M. Leonard, Truman G. Madsen, Robert J. Matthews, Robert L. Millet, Camille Fronk Olson, Larry C. Porter, Andrew C. Skinner, Brent L. Top, and Robert J. Woodford—more than 125 in all.
The Doctrine and Covenants Reference Companion includes—
- Entries on the Doctrine and Covenants from A to Z.
- Concise explanations of topics followed by a more in-depth treatment.
- An internal reference system to guide the reader to related articles.
- Historical accounts of important figures in the restoration of the Church.
- A treatise on each individual section of the Doctrine and Covenants and principal doctrines of the gospel, including sacred ordinances, the priesthood and its keys, eternal marriage, salvation for the dead, and the atonement of Jesus Christ.
The Doctrine and Covenants Reference Companion is the first work of its scope ever published on the Doctrine and Covenants. It is truly comprehensive and authoritative. Those who desire to improve their understanding of the history and restoration of the Church will find this volume to be an indispensable part of their gospel library.